Kirkham Legal Logo
View more blogs

Change of Name Deeds from Kirkham Legal

As part of Kirkham Legal’s Private Client offering, we now undertake the preparation of Change of Name Deeds.

It is a relatively straightforward process to change your name. Strictly speaking, you can call yourself whatever name you wish, but you will experience difficulties with institutions such as banks, the Passport Office, DVLA etc if you cannot produce documentary evidence to confirm the actual name change.

Accordingly, the easiest way to proceed is to prepare a Change of Name Deed, which is signed by you in both your old and new names, and then witnessed and dated. A Solicitor will provide you with the original copy, and here at Kirkham’s we also provide you with 1O certified copies so as to prevent any delay when registering your new name change with different organisations.

There is no formal requirement for the Deed to be registered.

However, it does become more complicated if you are seeking to change the name of a child, as everyone with parental responsibility (usually the mother and the father) will have to sign the Deed on behalf of the child. If there is a dispute between the parents, then it may well be necessary for an application to be made to the Court under the Children Act 1989 for the issue to be determined.

If you’d like to discuss Change of Name Deeds, feel free to contact us.

We are regulated by the CLC

Our Practice Licence Number is 11250.

Kirkham Legal

Kirkham Legal